- Integrated Detoxification Program- Blood, gut, liver, kidney, colon
- Rule out heavy metal toxicity, (particularly copper and mercury).
- Rule out Aspartame use.
- Rule out hypoglycaemia as this can contribute to seizures. Regular meals, higher protein and avoidance of sugars and junk food can help to balance blood sugar levels throughout the day.
- Follow Ketogenic diet (High protein, low carbohydrate, eliminate bread and wheat products, cereals, eliminate sugars and high glycaemic load foods, Increase essential fatty acids.)
- High dose Magnesium powder (with other factors, Taurine, chromium, B vitamins). Magnesium reduces spasticity of muscles, improves nerve conduction. Taurine modulates calcium channel activity and increases membrane potential, reducing the likelihood of depolarisation and seizures.
- High potency Ultra –pure EPA/DHA (Marine oils) Shown to reduce seizure frequency. Omega-3 fatty acids increase depolarisation thresholds, and lower inflammatory mediators, which are increased in patients with epilepsy 1-2 capsules 2-3 times daily.
- Dimethyl Glycine (DMG) may reduce the frequency of seizures in Epilepsy patients. Magnesium, vitamin B6 and dimethylglycine all have strong anti-seizure properties and are effective even when other anti-seizure medications fail.
- 5 Hydroxy-Tryptophan - 5-HTP is the immediate precursor of serotonin, which can in turn increase melatonin. Melatonin has been shown to reduce the frequency of fitting and has been used as an adjunct to orthodox medicines for epilepsy. 150-300mg per day.
- B-complex. B vitamin deficiencies particularly B6 and B12 can result in seizures.
- Multi mineral/vitamin for basic nutrition, particularly zinc which will offset any copper toxicity. Take care, however with extra high supplementation of folic acid. Avoid GLA (evening primrose oil) as this can excarcebate the condition.
- Lecithin or Phosphatidyl serine to support myelin sheath. 1 x100mg capsule 3 times daily. Preliminary studies show positive effects.
Note: This list is by no means exhaustive, but includes those remedies with the most therapeutic value based on current research.
Please consult with a qualified natural healthcare practitioner before beginning any protocol.